Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Live, Laugh, Learn, Love- Part 11

I sulked back into my apartment and slumped back onto the couch. My eyes started to fill up with tears; my whole living room started to get blurry but I didn’t want to blink and have the salty teardrops fall. I was betrayed by my own tears as they fell without my permission so I quickly wiped them away, wanting to be strong for both Anthony and I.
Suddenly my phone buzzed, it was a text message.
“I already miss you.” It read.
“That makes two of us.” I quickly replied and pushed “send”.
“Well now what?” I heard Nico say from the table, “What are we suppose to do while they’re gone?”
My mind rushed with thoughts until Nico beat me to it, “I know! We haven’t visited our families in literally forever; I think it’d be great for us and for them if we visited them for at least a week.”
The idea swirled in my head, “Yeeeaaahhh…” I said slowly, “Yeah I guess that could work. I haven’t seen Alexis in like a year, she’d be happy to see me again.” Alexis was my 15 year old sister, we fought sometimes but most of the time we were best friends. I also had a little brother named Brock; he’s eight and still a pain but I loved him.
“My mom and dad are still in The Philippians so I get a mini vacation!” Nico whooped. She had no siblings which was why I agreed to live with her in California when we graduated. My family all lived in Colorado; but I loved it there and didn’t mind going back.
“I’m gonna go call my mom and talk to her about it; you should too.” Nico grabbed her phone from the counter and rushed into our room.
I decided to do the same and grabbed my phone from the arm of the couch. I hadn’t bothered to notice that I had gotten another text from Anthony. It was a picture of him giving me a thumbs up in the car. He must’ve been at a stop light because I knew he knew I didn’t want him crashing or getting in trouble. I smiled and exited out of the picture to bring up my contacts; I decided to call my sister since she was the first person in my contacts. I hit the call button and put the phone up to my ear.
She answered on the second ring but I wasn’t surprised, she was attached to her phone, it never left her side. When she saw it was me she knew it was a good sign. “Hello?” I smiled just hearing her voice.
“Alexis!!! How’s is my baby sister?” I giggled as she snorted,
“I’m not a baby Tay! But nice to hear your voice anyway.” I could almost hear her sly smile.
“So is mom or dad home?” I asked.
“Yeah of course.”
“Can I talk to them?”
“Why didn’t you just call them instead of wasting my precious time?” we always used sarcasm in our conversations; it was just a best friend/sister thing.
“Because I wanted to talk to you stupid!” I laughed.
“Oh okay!” I heard her cover the receiver to call our parents. She turned back to the phone to say, “They don’t want to talk to you.”
“Whatever!” I chuckled as I heard my mom take Alexis’ phone.
“Hello?”
“Mom!” was all I said to make her burst into happiness.
“Tailynn!!! How are you? What have you been up to? Are you coming to visit soon?” She threw multiple questions at me.
“I’m okay, I’m not really doing anything, and yes that’s why I called you! I wanted to come home on Sunday! Is that okay?”
“Okay? Of course! It’s perfect! Do you need a ride or are you gonna fly here or what?” I heard a drawer open; she was always taking notes even when she didn’t need to.
“Nahh I’m thinking of just walking there.” I laughed.
“Very funny.” I could tell my mom was smiling.
“I’m going to fly there; it’ll take the least amount of time.” I laid back on the arm of the couch and stared at the white popcorn ceiling.
“Okay that’s fine, do you need money?” She had always been a supportive mother which was why when I was growing up; all my friends said my mom was the best, especially Nicolette because her parents were boring and old.
“No I think I’m fine, I’ll start packing up now and buy a plane ticket. I’ll see you Sunday!” I gave her kissing noises before she handed the phone back to Alexis.
“You’re coming back home?!” she said excitingly.
“Yes I am; for a week!” I was starting to get excited too. Suddenly, she asked me a serious question, “Do you have a boyfriend?”
“Uhhh…yes I do but he’s leaving for New York for two weeks which is why I’m coming over to Colorado. I need you guys right now.” I didn’t bother telling her who it was; I knew she loved Smosh videos and would probably want to kill me if I told her it was Anthony.
“What’s his name? Are you gonna marry him?” That thought never really crossed my mind until she brought it up.
“It’s a secret and I’m not sure…not yet.” I had to give her a straight answer.
“You’re a loser,” she responded to me telling her it was a secret, “You’re gonna have to tell me sooner or later, better make it sooner or I’ll kill you in your sleep!” She sang the last part. I recognized it from the Smosh video, “Cute Furry Kittens”.
“You’re the loser,” I said back, “But I still love you.”
“Well I have to go now, it’s lunch time here. I’ll talk to you on Sunday!” her voice got excited again.
“Okay bye! Love you!”
“Love you too!” She hung up.
I noticed Nicolette was still in our room so I snuck over to it. I heard her voice through the door so I put my ear up to it. It didn’t make any difference though because she was speaking Filipino.
“Pero mom ko talagang nais na dumating sa bahay! Hindi ko na doon sa mga buwan, gusto mo lang makinig sa akin?” She sounded upset.
The only words I could make out were “home” and “month”, Nico had taught me little Filipino when we were living together in a dorm. Even though I didn’t understand much I listened anyway.
“Mangyaring, pangako ko kukunin ko ay mabuti, ako lang miss mo ang dalawang!” This time all I heard was “Please”. She was speaking too fast, so it was hard to get out much.
I heard a couple of yes’ and no’s until she went on another rant which was way too fast and long my mind almost exploded. I decided to retreat and go back to watching TV.
A couple of minutes later the door opened and Nico came out gripping her cell phone tightly. I turned around when she started to say, “My mom said I can go but I have to follow her rules and stay with them 24/7. I don’t know why she’s acting like that, I love her and all but my partying days kinda ended like a year and a half ago.”
“So that’s what you were talking about?” I chuckled, “Couldn’t understand much through the door.” I motioned to where I had been standing.
“Oh. Well that’s the point of speaking in a different language in America. So English speaking people can’t understand our personal business.” She smirked at me.
“Whatever,” I returned it with a snarky remark, “Anyway, I have to go pack because I’m going to Colorado on Sunday.” I realized that was the same time Anthony and Ian were leaving for New York and my heart sank.
“Lucky. I love your family.” Nico stuck her tongue out at me.
“You get to go to The Philippians so be quiet.” I returned it. “I bet your mom will want to do fun things with you there. She does love you believe it or not.” I laughed.
“Yeah well sometimes it doesn’t feel like it.” She muttered and sat at the kitchen table.
I hoisted myself up off the couch and went into our room to get a luggage bag. I started to fill it up with enough clothes for the week. I felt bad that Nicolette was sad about what her mom had said, but I felt even worse that Ian couldn’t be with her to help her through. Then I remembered Anthony’s smiling face telling me everything would be okay, and hoped that Ian had said the same to her.




Quick notes: Alexis is based on my Smoshy bff Diandra and I'm sorry if the Filipino is off, Google Translate can suck sometimes xP Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment