Monday, March 7, 2011

Live, Laugh, Learn, Love- Part 3

Inside, the air was cold and stiff. We turned a corner and saw Anthony sitting in a small chair at the edge of the bed. His head was down; he must’ve been sleeping. Next to him was a familiar girl I had seen before but couldn’t exactly remember where. Her hair was long and dark and she was leaned up against Anthony’s shoulder, also in a deep sleep.
We tip-toed inside, carefully shutting the door behind us; as we continued to walk into the room, we saw a familiar blonde haired girl sitting next to Ian’s bed. She was sitting upright, mumbling something to him when Nico accidentally tapped the wall with her keys. McKenna stopped talking and looked at us. Anthony had slowly woken up. He looked at me, I smiled.
“Tailynn? Nicolette?” He said as if we could’ve been part of his dream. The girl next to him stirred but didn’t wake.
“What are you two doing here?” McKenna rudely snapped at us.
“We’re his other best friends, idiot.” Nico mumbled the insult under her breath. Luckily, McKenna hadn’t heard.
Anthony carefully stood up, making sure the girl was still sleeping and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. I fit perfectly into his arms. I could feel his spirit rise as I told him everything would be okay.
As we separated I turned to look at Ian. His leg was in a full cast that reached up to his thigh. It was elevated by a sling connected to the ceiling. His eyes were closed; he had a bandage wrapped around his forehead and a cut above his left eye. He looked so helpless, so broken.
Nico had walked to the other side of the bed and took his left hand.
“Hey Ian.” She whispered.
I saw McKenna glare at her from the other side of the bed. My hand turned into a fist, there was no way I was gonna let her get away with being a bitch in Ian’s time of need. Nicolette was his friend too, McKenna needed to understand that.
I turned to Anthony, “So where’s Ian’s mom and dad?” I asked.
“We haven’t told them yet…we don’t want to alarm them, I think we’ll have Ian call them when he wakes up.”
“If he wakes up…” I wanted to say but held it in; I didn’t want to discourage Anthony.
I took Anthony’s hand and led him to where he had been sitting before. When I came closer to the girl I finally realized who it was, it was their next door neighbor, Lauren!
“You drove all the way over here?” Anthony finally said.
“Of course.” I took my eyes away from Lauren to smile at him.
“You two are the best friends a guy could have.” He kissed me and looked at Nico to see if she had heard him. Instead, her head was lying on Ian’s arm; we heard her softly say words like “Lord” and “Please”. I was honestly surprised that she was praying; even though she was catholic and her parents had shoved religion down her throat when she was younger, I had only heard her pray freely about five times in the time I’d known her, which was about thirteen years.
I glanced at McKenna again; her eyes bit Nicolette in the throat, which was something I was about to do to McKenna if she didn’t cut it out.
“Hey McKenna, can you turn on the TV for us please?” I decided to get her to do something else besides look at Nico. Her stare quickly turned to me but she didn’t say anything. She stood up and reached her long arms up to turn on the TV.
“Remote?” I smirked at her.
She paused for a moment before taking the remote from the bedside and handing it to me.
“Thanks hun.” I said as I turned the channel.
The rest of the night was boring. All I did was sit at the end of the bed and watch TV. Eventually it got late enough to that nothing was on TV except Girls Gone Wild commercials and weird British people talking about how animals reproduce.
None of it mattered anyway because almost everyone else was asleep. My eyes began to droop slowly until I felt my head land on Anthony’s shoulder.

When I woke up, light shone in from the large window on the far side of the room. I looked around and saw that nobody had moved from the night before except for Lauren who wasn’t in the room anymore. Anthony was still next to me, still asleep. McKenna was still on the right side of Ian’s bed, her head lay on the covers; her blonde bun messily hung up on top of her head. And Nicolette; that girl still had feelings for Ian even though she had denied it so many times after the break up. Her head lay on the left side of Ian’s body; it was actually a pretty funny site to see, Ian looked like a dead pimp. I giggled to myself which startled Anthony. His head rose up and he rubbed his eyes to take a look around.
“Wow, nobody’s moved…” he said, “wait, where’s Lauren?”
“I’m not sure but look at Ian, he looks like a pimp.” I giggled again. Anthony stared at him until he realized that Ian had two women at his side; he laughed his sweet laugh. He took out his phone camera and snapped two pictures, still laughing.
I stood up and stretched when the door slowly opened; it was Lauren tried to sneak back in. When she saw that I was awake she rushed over to me and gave me a giant hug.
“Oh my gosh Tailynn it’s been forever!” She exclaimed as she squeezed me.
“I know!” Was all I could think of saying as I hugged her back.
We separated and fell into silence. I looked at the two girls sleeping next to Ian and said,
“I hope he gets better soon, I can’t bear to see him like this.”
“I heard that the only way some people can be woken up from a coma, is that their true love speaks to them; they hear their voice and wake up to be with them.” Lauren suddenly commented.
“What do you mean like Sleeping Beauty?” I chuckled.
“Pretty much..” she said casually.
“That’s great…” my stomach rumbled, “I think I’m gonna go down to the cafeteria really quick to grab something to eat, anybody care to join me?”
“Yeah, I’m down.” Anthony replied. I looked at Lauren and she nodded. “You think it’s okay if we leave these two alone with Ian?” I muttered.
“Yeah they’re just sleeping.” I could tell Anthony was hungry and just wanted to eat.
“Okay, let’s get outta here.” We snuck out the door and into the halls of the hospital.

We ate our food quickly in the cafeteria before making our way back to Ian’s room. When we got back upstairs to Ian’s floor; we heard a female voice coming from inside. It was Nicolette.
We peered into the small window just to see the end of Ian’s bed and the side of Nico’s body. We pressed our ears up to the door.
“-and I think that maybe one day we could be together again. I mean together as in how we were nine months ago. Ian, I’m tired of being your friend and I forgive you for cheating with me. If only you could see how much I really loved you, how much I care about you more than McKenna then you’d know that we’re meant to be. McKenna doesn’t know shit about you, she just loves you because you’re famous because you give her what she wants, I love you because of your smile…your laugh…the way you laugh at your own jokes. I miss you Ian. I…I love you.” Suddenly, we heard a different voice.
“Nico…Nicolette? Is that…is that…you?” It was Ian!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment