Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Live, Laugh, Learn, Love- Part 4

“I told you!” Lauren hissed.
“Shhhhhhhhh!!!!” I hushed her.
“Ian?” We heard Nico say.
“Nico….I….I love you too.” Ian’s voice was raspy and sore.
Just then somebody behind us burst through the door.
“What the hell do you mean you love her?” McKenna had food in her hands, most likely for Ian. Another blonde haired girl followed her in. She was carrying drinks.
“Who the fuck are you?” My anger started to rise as I addressed the other girl.
“Bitch please; I’m Ashleigh, McKenna’s best friend.” She raised her unoccupied hand to me in a “stop” motion.
“What did you just call me?” I tried to sprint towards her to teach her prissy ass a lesson but somebody had taken my arms and wouldn’t let me go.
“Let me go!” I turned around, realizing I was talking to Anthony. All he did was smile at me; for some reason that calmed me down. “Thanks.” I stopped wrestling with him and he let me go.
“McKenna? Ash?” Ian lifted his head off the bed but groaned in pain. I heard Nicolette softly shush him. I walked further into the room to see her kiss his temple.
“You!” McKenna threw her food onto the bed next to Ian’s to point to Nico, “You stole my boyfriend!” she charged up to Nicolette but I was swifter. I ran in between Nico and Ian and McKenna to shield my best friends.
“Don’t you even dare or I’ll call security and get your ass thrown out.” I said as calmly as I could.
“That bitch thinks she can just walk in on a special relationship that’s been going on strong for three years; I don’t think so, not in my lifetime!!!” I saw McKenna’s hand clench into a fist in the corner of my eye and got ready to block.
“Hey McKenna; don’t do this….” Ian’s raspy voice tickled our ears.
“Shut up Ian, we’re over!” McKenna took a swing to my face but I held up my forearm and she hit that instead. I took the fist she used to try and hit me and twisted it around to her back. Even though she was five inches taller than me, I was guessing she didn’t take Karate lessons like I used to.
Ashleigh shrieked which caused about six nurses to instantly flood into the room. I let go of McKenna in an instant, luckily the nurses had all their attention focused on Ian to notice what had happened. I turned to look at Lauren and Anthony; their eyes were widened, shocked at what McKenna had tried to do.
I turned to McKenna and Ashleigh, “Get outta here.” I growled at them. They obeyed and grabbed their food to leave.
The nurses had surrounded Ian and were taking his blood pressure, heart beat and switching out his IV all at the same time. When they finally left, the room was silent.
“I….I didn’t like her much anyway.” Ian broke the silence and we all cracked up. To my surprise, Ian looked happy; as if he had been freed.
Lauren, Anthony and I all sat down in the seats at the end of the bed, happy to see Ian’s eyes opened. He looked much better than he did yesterday; I was happy to hear him cracking jokes about even the most serious situation.
Lauren reached over and touched my arm; I winced. It was the arm I had used to prevent McKenna from pounding my face in. I rolled up my sleeve and took a quick glimpse at it. The skin between my wrist and elbow was raised and was starting to turn purple/blue. I groaned; like I needed this right now. Lauren saw my arm and offered to get me ice.
“Yeah, that’d be great; thanks hun.” I smiled at her as she got up to ask nurses for an icepack.
I leaned my head against Anthony’s shoulder and felt his lips touch the top of my head.
“Did…did McKenna do that…to you?” Ian noticed I was in pain.
“Um…yeah she did; but I’m fine, I’d rather have it be my arm than mine or Nico’s face.” I chuckled and he followed.
“True.” He coughed. Nicolette was still holding his hand but she looked at me, “Thanks.” She said.
“No problem sweetie.” I smiled at her.

Ian’s state of health progressed steadily throughout the rest of the day and by the same time he had gone into the hospital the day before, he was now sitting up, eating, and laughing with us. The doctor said that he could stay one more night and would be healthy enough to go home tomorrow. He also explained to us that Ian had great friends and actually backed up Lauren’s theory on love healing wounds.
It was our last night at the hospital when Ian got the urge to drink more energy drinks.
“Hell no man,” Anthony spoke first, “there is no way I’m ever letting you have another energy drink for the rest of your life.”
“Okay mom.” Ian joked.
“Speaking of your mom,” Lauren said, “when are you going to tell your mom about this?”
“I love my mom,” Ian started to say, “but when I get hurt, she never EVER leaves until I’m healed.” He motioned to his knee, “this thing won’t heal for another couple months. Do you want my mom to live with us for months?” He asked Anthony.
He frantically shook his head, “No, I don’t.” We all laughed.
I looked around the room at my laughing friends and knew that I wouldn’t have it any other way. These guys weren’t just my friends; they were my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment