Friday, February 18, 2011

Turn That Frown Upside Down Part 1

“Tailynn, you have to watch this new youtube video!” my best friend Nicolette called me over to her computer desk.
I groaned, “is this another one of those Smosh things? Those guys are fricken idiots, why do you spend your time watching their dumb videos?”
“For the last time, they are not stupid they are genius. Now watch the damn video!” Nico turned the computer screen towards me and pushed play. The screen showed two goofy looking college aged boys singing a rip-off of the Pokémon theme. I was forced to watch the entire video without saying a word about how ridiculous they looked.
“Awesome right?” She asked me when it finished.
“You really want me to answer that?”
“Every week I try showing you their videos, praying that you’ll find the funny in them. What is wrong with you?”
“They’re just not my style of humor! What is wrong with you?” I turned to go back into my room to finish an essay about the history of science fiction. I take English college classes and can get into my work which is why I was extra sour about Nico showing me another video of those Smosh freaks.
Just as I was about to close my door, I heard Nico scream, “OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GODDDD!!!!!”
“What is it?!” I rushed back into the living room to see Nico staring at the computer screen in shock.
“R-read…” she muttered, so I began to read,
“Hey Nicolette, this is Ian and Anthony from Smosh! We got your letter in our mail yesterday and decided to take up on your offer! We thought that since you sorta lived close to us that you could stop by for a couple of days to finish your school project. We’d be more than happy to help!” The email ended with their address and a smiley face.
“Project? What project?”
Nicolette grinned, “no project, just an experiment..” she suddenly let out another scream, “I CAN’T BELIEVE WE’RE MEETING SMOSH!”
“Wait, we? What do you mean by ‘we’?”
“I mean you’re coming with me so that I don’t have to do this alone and so you can help me be calm and collected when we meet them.” She couldn’t take her eyes off the email.
“No, no, no, there is no way I’m meeting them, no chance in hell.” I stormed off to my room and slammed the door.
I jumped onto my bed, swiped my auburn bangs behind my ears and sat in the silence of my anger. I don’t know what pissed me off more, the fact that Nico was just going to ditch me to meet some internet people or the fact that she wanted me to come with. I honestly didn’t see the wow factor in them. Every video I watched just got dumber and dumber but no matter how much I said I hated Smosh, Nicolette wouldn’t give it up. And now she wanted me to meet them face to face.
“No chance in hell.” I said again to myself and opened my laptop to continue my essay.
******

“Tailynn? Tailynn, please open the door, I want to talk to you.” I heard Nico tap on my door but I refused to get up and let her in.
“Please go away.” I said calmly.
“I just want to talk to you.”
“Give me more time Nico or I won’t give you any.” I raised my voice a little louder to try and make my point clear. A couple seconds passed by before I heard her footsteps walk back into the living room. I didn’t really need more time to think about it, I just didn’t want to see her.
After a couple of quite minutes, the only sound being the keys on my laptop typing away, I heard Nico talking to someone.
“She doesn’t want to come with me……I know but I can’t force her to do something she doesn’t want to do……Yeah, I guess I’m going there alone…….ok……ok……no I’ll be fine, don’t worry…..ok…..yeah…..yeah I’ll see you later then…bye.”
I got up from my bed, feeling the guilt building up on my shoulders before opening my door.
“Nico?” I called out to her and saw her long black hair sway as she turned around.
“Oh hey Tay, you ready to talk now?”
“I’ll go with you.” Even though I felt bad for not going, I cringed while saying I would.
“What?”
“I said…I’ll go with you.” My hands curled into fists for saying it again.
“Really?” She grinned.
“Yes really. But I’m going for you, not for them.” I tried to tell her my bargain but she came sprinting to me before she had the time to respond.
“THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!” she jumped into my arms and practically picked me up in a giant hug.
“No problem.” I muttered. I just knew this was going to be a crazy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment