Friday, February 18, 2011

Turn That Frown Upside Down- Part 5

Anthony led me down the hallway to my temporary room again. His hand was soft, warm, calming; I felt…safe. He opened the door and led me in. I sat on the warm bed, exactly where Nic was sitting when she was with Ian. I heard the door softly shut and a moment later Anthony bounced onto the bed next to me.
“So…” he trailed off.
“So…” I repeated, hinting I wanted him to talk first.
“Sooooo…” he grinned at me. I shot him a look that pierced him, “So we’re in here for seven minutes, what do you wanna do?” he avoided another sharp look from my icy blue eyes.
My mind flashed back to what I’d said to him about Nic. I decided to refresh his memory,
“Nicolette likes you, not me.”
“Yeah well that kinda seemed indifferent when Ian’s tongue was in her mouth, dontcha think?” I held in a giggle and instead frowned, realizing he’d torn down half of our wall.
“Well…” I searched for the right hurtful words to say, “well…she’s my best friend I can’t disrespect her feelings like that, plus you’re from Smosh; I don’t even like you guys because for one, well, you act like little children and for two-” I felt something touch my lips, forcing me to stop talking. Before I realized that Anthony had kissed me, I was kissing back. Thought after thought tumbled around in my head; how guilty I was for kissing him, how stupid I was for letting him but mostly how happy I was that he liked me. His lips were soft, like his hands. He kissed me with little pressure but I didn’t mind. It was a gentle kiss, one that said he didn’t want my body, he wanted my heart.
He leaned back and we opened our eyes. I opened my mouth to talk but nothing came out. Our moment was magical but I didn’t want to tell him I thought so. We sat in the dim light of the side-table lamp in silence, comprehending what had just happened. Suddenly the door opened,
“Your seven minutes are up!” Ian winked at Anthony, however I wasn’t sure if he responded back. Ian left with the door open. Anthony got up, reaching for my hand again. I wanted to take it but this time I didn’t.
“Don’t tell Nico what happened. I don’t want her to know that I sorta-kinda-maybe like you. As far as she knows, I still hate you, got it?” I attempted to make myself sound harsh but instead the words came out nice and clean.
“Right.” He winked and walked out the door.
My heartbeat slowly climbed down to its normal speed. This time I couldn’t deny it; I was falling for Anthony.

I sat in the dim light of the lamp alone. I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t even think; everything was a complete mess and it was only our first night here! I heard the small group in the living room talking about something but they were too quiet for me to understand. I didn’t get up, I couldn’t feel my legs and even though my heartbeat had slowed down I felt like it would race if I did anything too soon. After a couple of silent minutes, I heard somebody walk down the hallway and I tensed up. Nicolette popped her head into the doorway, I forced a smile.
“Hey chicka, are you okay?”
I nodded, “Yeah I’m fine, why?”
“Anthony told me what you said. It’s okay, I’m not mad at you, I understand how you are.” My stomach jumped and did ten flips.
“Wha-what did he say to you exactly?” I sat on my hands and crossed my fingers underneath my thighs.
“Well, he told me you said he was the biggest jerk you’ve ever met and that you’re counting the hours until you get to go back home. He also mentioned something about you hitting him in the man parts.”
I laughed, “Ohhhhh right, well you know how much I hate those Smosh freaks…” I scratched the non-existent itch on the back of my head.
“I’m gonna go say goodnight to them so I’ll be right back.” He held up her first finger to indicate that I had to wait.
When she left I finally got the ability to move; Anthony had lied to her for me, and made up a damn good one too! I leaned over to get my suitcase and search for my pajamas. I started out moving things around but as my search continued I had pulled all my clothes out; my pajamas nowhere to be found. Right as I was about to curse Nico for forgetting my pj’s someone knocked on the wooden rim of the door.
I lifted my head up, moving my bangs out of my eyes to find Anthony. His hands were in his front jean pockets, his tight shirt hugged his stomach but the first thing I noticed was his lips, those soft, soft lips. They were pursed as he shrugged and said, “Was my lie good enough?”
I laughed again, “Yeah it was perfect.”
There was a moment of awkward silence before I got the courage to ask, “Do you have something I could wear to bed? Nico forgot to pack my pajamas.”
“Lemme check.” Anthony turned around and walked into his room. My hands became sweaty when he returned with a large t-shirt in his hand.
“Will this do?” he handed it to me.
“Yeah it will, thanks.” I grinned.
“Well…goodnight.” He practically whispered and I replied,
“Night.”
Just as Anthony walked out, Nicolette walked in. I stood up from the bed and shuffled to the bathroom across from our room. As I was dressing, my pierced ears heard loud talking in the room next to the bathroom. It sounded like Ian. I pressed my ear against the wall so I could hear more clearly.
“Hey man, I know she didn’t say that to you I was there when I saw you two sitting on the bed looking into each others’ eyes, you know that you like her and she knows that she likes you man you can’t deny it any more than I can deny I’m drunk as shit right now.” Ian slurred some his words together in a long sentence. I held in a giggle.
“I’m telling you Ian, she said what she said and I don’t like her. We didn’t share any type of moment in that bedroom so just stop it. Go to bed.”
The door shut and the talking stopped. I didn’t think twice about what he’d said about me. Ian was right, I liked him and he liked me there was no denying any part of it. When I finished changing I snuck back into our room and saw Nicolette already curled up in bed. I climbed into bed and tried to join her peaceful sleep but my mind wasn’t ready to fall asleep yet. It was still racing through thoughts of what happened in this room. I started thinking about what I should’ve said or what I should’ve done. I started thinking about what could’ve happened if Nicolette was the one that told us our seven minutes were up or what could’ve happened if I didn’t let him kiss me. I started thinking about what was going to happen tomorrow and what Nicolette would do when she found out. No—she won’t ever find out, not as long as I’m alive and well. And as for Anthony, he better keep that lying mouth in gear, because we still have two more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment